Friday, December 9, 2011

Time off in the Virginias and Bellingham


Wow, time flies when you're having fun! I spent a month visiting friends and family in Virginia and West Virginia. It flew by and now in a few days I'm flying to Argentina.

The theme of this trip has to be friends and family. I felt so much love and support from everyone around me. It felt so nice.

First I spent the night in Arlington with an Aconcagua client, Patty. That made the trip south so easy the next day. I took the train to Fredericksburg for $9, then was picked up by my parents.

Off to West Virginia! First a stop by my buddy Kerry's house. I love being around his dogs:



Kerry spends alot of time working with horses, despite the fact that once in a while they try to kill him. He's tough that way. He's my soul brother.



Then off to Seneca. Right back to my old apartment, working on the rocks. Arthur ended up getting me 7 days of work, a nice surprise. The weather was sunny and cool, perfect for climbing. It was a trip down memory lane, with the added perspective of guiding in different areas. Being there healed something deep inside of me. Seneca rocks still feels like home; maybe it always will.


Seneca has to be the best place to teach rock climbing ever:


Then it snowed, so we go to the cave to teach skills:


Arthur and Alan. Great guys. It's an honor to be able to roll in and close out the season with these fellow guides.


Arthur's store in Winchester:



Then, back to VA for some deer hunting!


Very civilized hunting:


I saw one little buck, and we looked at each other for a while. He was too small to shoot and I wasn't in position. It was still nice to see one. Hunting is a very new activity for me.

Then off to West-by-God again to Fayetteville. I haven't been there in about ten years, and it was great to get caught up with friends there. Like my buddy Larry, who has been the bringer of new ideas for years. First the riser bar for mountain bikes, then the splitboard, and now the junkboard. Take a snowboard, saw it in half, slap on some free-heel bindings, and get out there!


I also caught my buddy and old room-mate Josh Eye at his wedding! They hadn't seen me in a dozen years and it was super fun to surprise them like that! He and Tracy are a great couple.


Then back to Fayetteville for some actual for-fun climbing. The rock there is some of the best in the world. Here we're at Summersville Lake, which is drained in the winter and that lets us go out and climb the cliffs without a boat.

When I lived in Fayetteville this area was only barely explored. Now it's a scene into itself:


Laura was my 'handler' for my brief time there. She made me feel like a rock star! She set the itinerary and got the people together, and let me sleep at her house. An awesome friend. Here she's getting Anita set up to climb:


I even got to see Tracy! Tracy guides on rock in WV and NC, and we go way way back. Here she is with Calico Kitty, I can't believe Calico is still alive. Check out her paws. 7 claws on each paw. Now that's a mouser!


Alas, the trip ends, and it's back to WA. Time to ski!

On the previous day it had rained and the snow was saturated. I've never seen a groomer stuck in a lake. Needless to say the skiing was pretty tough:


Two days later I went out again. This was November 25th, the six-month anniversary of Suzanne's death. I kept her in my thoughts through the day.

That girl had her systems dialed. The chains were in the car already!


Note blue skies and powder. I really think that she is helping me to be a better skiier. I'm so excited about skiing I feel like a puppy with a new ball. It's really clicking for me. Though if you look closely you will see a crater in the track:


The view from Herman Saddle. Shuksan to the north, Baker to the south. Outstanding.



Then Joseph and I went on to Mt. Baker proper for a tour on the Coleman Glacier. Stunning scenery, great skiing, great company. Lots of smiles:








Then a couple days with some friends from WV, Bob and Alice. Yay!



One more tour to the north side of Shuksan. Serious tomfoolery going on here. Broken bindings for both of us:



Sometimes you have to know when to say when. Now it's time to plan and prepare for Aconcagua.

Friends and family are awesome!

daveheinbach@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment