Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Aconcagua, installment #1

Wow, it's been five years since I've been here. It's a warm sunny day here in Mendoza. Left the house at 2am Tuesday morning, bus to Seattle, planes to LA, Lima, Santiago, and Mendoza, and 26.5 hours later I step out of the cab at our apartment. Whew!

Here's the view from the building top:


So much has changed, both inside me and around me. The program is quite different, the guide accomodations, the itinerary, logistics. And, many things are the same. I recognize many places, both from my expeditions in 2006 and from the expeditions that Suzanne worked on. Some of her juju must be rubbing off on me because despite the travel I feel surprisingly well rested. Lead guide Brien Sheedy and I will be spending the next few days buying supplies, then we'll start hiking with the group. Folks can keep track of our progress via audio cybercast on the Alpine Ascents site (we are trip number four):

http://www.alpineascents.com/aconcagua-cybercast.asp

Well, after two and a half months off, it's time to get back to work. I'm ready. The Andes are their own unique range, with their own feel, and I'm looking forward to getting back up there.

Interesting note: Around here people cay Ciao when they part ways, yet when I looked it up I see that Ciao is Italian for Hello. Hmm....

Ciao!

daveheinbach@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment