Sunday, September 4, 2011

Wrapping up the Baker Season


On August 21-26 Kirah Solomon and I worked the last Alpine Ascents 6-day mountaineering course of the season, on Mt. Baker. I like the 6-day courses because I get to spend more time up on the mountain, and comparatively less time driving.

Food choices are important. Kirah brought the donuts, I brought the stove in the foreground that allowed us to make coffee in the tent. For a guide, the tent is home. There we get privacy, it's a place we can be off-duty. So making it comfy is important, and donuts and coffee go a long way!


The 6-day course covers all the skills needed to get out there and climb snowy glaciated mountains. There's alot of material. Here a student is practicing ascending a rope in a tree, before doing it for real in a crevasse.


Crevasse rescue practice takes place at a real crevasse, in this case at about 8000', just above our high camp. Here Kirah is lowering a climber into a crevasse on a backup line.


There's nothing like the real thing:


By day 6 we've gotten the team ready for an ascent. This time we got the sunrise right as we were reaching the summit plateau. Good stuff!



No comments:

Post a Comment